This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jan 10, 2008 at 8:25:21 PM
Subject: How to install wireless driver
On my spare Dell computer, I have a 40GB hard drive to run my windows applications. Recently installed a new 80 GB hard drive on my PC to install and learn Linex Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 7.10, using an alternative CD installation disc I purchased. Apparently it loaded successfully. With the exception it does not recognize my wireless network. I have a Buffalo wireless PCI Adapter (WLI2-PCI-G54S) which links to a Broadcom Linksys router, which runs fine with my windows program. I can't get the Ubuntu to recognize it. I believe I need to install the driver on the ubuntu system, but I cannot figure out how to run the Buffalo installation disc in UBUNTU.. I tried to install and run the "ndiswrapper" program. It appears to be installed, but the system>administrator page does not list install windows driver, as the instructions suggest. Also, the instructions say to install and run the ndisgtk program, but I cannot find that program in the list of options. Can anybody help me with getting my wireless working??
Back to top Profile Email Website
alpinesatan.com
Joined Dec 01, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 9:49:10 PM
ok dude this will sound silly but if you can confirm that you have rebooted your machine since you installed? Kind Regards

OS X 10.4.11 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, not forgetting fedora :D

Back to top Profile Email Website MSN
ArthurA4
Joined Jan 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 12:05:03 AM
I AM HAVING ALMOST THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM, EXCEPT MY WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER IS D-LINK. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS AND NO LUCK! DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?
alpinesatan.com
Joined Dec 01, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 12:07:35 AM
ok dude what version of linux are you running??? and what have you tried? Kind Regards p.s if you can post the spec of the dlink card.

OS X 10.4.11 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, not forgetting fedora :D

Back to top Profile Email Website MSN
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 5:50:37 AM
Arthur, try not to make entire post in CAPS. Could you please specify the procedure you're following to setup the card.

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
bryan
Joined Jan 15, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:05:17 PM
I have a similar problem, but mine may be not understanding the commands very well yet. I have a netgear WG311T pci card, have tried installing it in SUse 10.3 using ndiswrapper. Here's what i've done: i downloaded ndiswrapper 1.51; uncompressed it by dragging it to the gnome terminal (cheating, but seems to have worked) to /home/bryan/ndiswrapper (folder i created); switched to root in gnome terminal; changed to directory /home/bryan/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.51; following directions on the internet and that came with ndiswrapper i've tried installing it by running make distclean and make, but i get the following errors on either command: "make -C driver" "make [1]: Entering directory '/home/bryan/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.51/driver' " "makefile:35: ***Cannot find kernel version in /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.5-31-obj/i386/default, is it configured?. Stop." "make[1]: Leaving directory ......." "make: ***[Clean] Error 2" So, I tried step 2 in the following link http://en.opensuse.org/Configure%2C_Build_and_Install_a_Custom_Linux_Kernel which basically i ran the command " ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.12-0.1 /usr/src/linux " (with my kernel ver.) This didn't seem to help anything. So to sum up, my wireless network card is not working; I don't think i've installed ndiswrapper correctly; and i'm not sure why i can't access the kernel file in /usr/scr/linux. Any help would be much appreciated. THanks
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 16, 2008 7:18:09 PM
bryan, you need to install kernel sources. Creating a link serves no purpose if you haven't got the file to link to :) Open Yast and then click ADD/Remove Software. Search for kernel-source and install it. Then follow the ndiswrapper procedure again. Cheers!

bryan
Joined Jan 15, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 5:59:34 PM
thanks Shashank Sharma, that helped alot. I ended up needing madWifi, everything works now except it doesn;t connect on boot. But i can get online.
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 6:50:57 PM
bryan, glad to help. Look in your networking settings for a "connect on boot" setting or something similar. Most probably it'd be a check box that you can click on to enable. Cheers!

ArthurA4
Joined Jan 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 2:36:51 AM
Hello, these are all the steps i took, but after i install ndisgtk i am not able to find windows wireless drivers option from administration. Any suggestions? Thank you. peter 1. Obtain the Windows Driver for your system and locate the file that ends with .inf. 2. Install ndisgtk (System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager). 3. [b]Open ndisgtk (System → Administration → Windows Wireless Drivers).[/b] 4. Select Install new driver. 5. Choose the location of your Windows .inf file and click Install. 6. Click OK.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya