This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Dec 24, 2007 at 12:20:31 AM
Subject: D-Link Wireless USB adapter
I will be soon switching away from Windows to Linux Kubuntu. I have an eMachine desktop on which I use a D-Link wireless USB adapter (DWA-130). We have a neighbor who allows access to one of his networks so I'm able to use it for downloading large files etc. My question is, will I be able to use my adapter when I make the switch to Kubuntu? I did not see drivers for Linux on D-Link site. If not is there another avenue for me to take that will allow me to use my neighbor's largesse.
Back to top Profile Email Website
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 10:49:09 AM
Your card is not supported out of the box. But you can use Ndiswrapper to get that card working under Linux. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper Cheers!

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
explorer21
Joined Jan 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 2:29:06 AM
I'm having problems too. I have linksys wirless adapter for laptops. model wpc54g ver. 3 I have the dirvers, but I don't know how to use ndiswrapper, i have installed it already, i just don't where it is installed. How do I access it?
alpinesatan.com
Joined Dec 01, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 5:46:16 PM
well NDISwrapper is good for windows drivers to be used on linux. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/ Kind Regards

OS X 10.4.11 and Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, not forgetting fedora :D

Back to top Profile Email Website MSN

Joined Jan 02, 2014

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 2:14:06 AM
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-networking/36137-d-link-wireless-usb-adapter-how-do.html
Back to top Profile Email
meka4996
Joined Jun 20, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 20, 2008 10:34:37 PM
Wireless Dlink DWA 130 ... N usb adapter This tutorial is proven in Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty. Go to... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper Scoll down and see "2.2. Installing Packages (With Internet access on another computer)" Download the following deb files, put them together with the adapter inf file(from adapter CD) on a usb drive, Plug the adapter in, start the computer with Ubuntu in LiveCD mode. After booting up, go to MainMenu-> Accessories -> Terminal, install the deb files in this order: sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-common_*.deb sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-utils*.deb sudo dpkg -i --force-depends ndisgtk_*.deb #Note: Ubuntu don’t suggest su Installing Windows driver by using ndisgtk: Go to MainMenu -> System -> Administration -> Windows wireless drivers Click on "install new driver" -> select the adapter inf file in the usb drive. Then even it shows: "Hardware present: No", ignore it. Go to ConfigureNetwork, click on WirelessConnection, click on Properties, untick EnableRoamingMode, choose NetworkName and WEP key, enter the password, use DHCP, leave the rest blank. then see if the device is flashing, if not, unplug then plug it in again... if still not working, restart the computer and do it again ... when seeing flashing, then check the internet... yeah, we're in!!! #Note: even after all of the above and after installing Ubuntu on my hard drive, and after many many successful internet connection, sometimes(only occasionally, so it is ok), it still won't work. (especially if the device won't flash during boot or the boot process freezes...) In that case, just unplug the device, then restart the computer, after the boot menu, plug in the device again(for re-detection), it will work this way always =)
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya