This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 11, 2009 at 12:00:19 PM
Subject: Slackware 12.2 disable eth0 on startup
I'm trying to disable my Ethernet device on startup in Slackware 12.2. I've tried putting 'ifconfig eth0 down' in the /etc/rc.d/inet1.conf file at the beginning but that didn't work. I also tried adding 'ifconfig eth0 down' to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file but that didn't work either. I'm on a laptop and don't usually have an Ethernet cable plugged in so the laptop has to wait for the DHCP process to timeout before continuing. Thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 11, 2009 1:08:38 PM
If you haven't found the answer to this yet, you might want to post on www.linuxforums.org. Linux.com is unmaintained and unmoderated until the Linux Foundation does whatever it is they plan to do with it. I don't know Slackware very well, but in general, there should be a config file that sets up the interface, and you can just comment out eth0. In debian based distros it's at /etc/network.d/interfaces. I think in Slack you need to comment out or remove all the eth0 configuration in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf [Modified by: Reed on May 11, 2009 08:09 AM]
Seekret
Joined May 10, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 11, 2009 2:21:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to figure out a solution to it, though I'm not sure if it was the brightest thing to do. I was reading through the scripts in the /etc/rc.d folder and found that 'rc.inet1' is the startup script for the network devices. It uses a variable called 'IFNAME' to reference the 'eth' device, after reading the full script I didn't see any conflicts with me changing that so I just had 'IFNAME' reference 'ath' instead.
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 11, 2009 5:11:26 PM
Slackware seems overly complicated. I like Arch, where all network configuration, loading/blacklisting modules, and startup daemons are controlled in one central file at /etc/rc.conf.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya