This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 08, 2009 at 5:15:36 AM
Subject: incredibly small linux computer
This may sound strange, but i need to make a very small linux computer with all of the following. -3 usb plugs -a battery powered power supply (like a laptop) -enough power to run damn small linux it doesn't need a hard drive, (a flash drive will do) and it doesn't need any form of permanent input or output. it just needs to be able to boot up and run a few programs. i also need to be able to carry it easily (hence the small). so what should i be looking at here in terms of motherboards and the like? EDIT: why doesn't this forum keep my formatting?
Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 08, 2009 12:58:28 PM
This forum is not maintained until the linux foundation decides what to do with it. There's no moderation and formatting is broken. How small are you looking for? Smaller than some of the tinier netbooks? It's not battery powered, but have you looked at the SheevaPlug? http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41525/136/
SlimeQ
Joined May 08, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 08, 2009 8:04:24 PM
i'm literally looking to make it as small as i possibly can. i mean, it would be killer if i could get it all in something about the size of an ipod. the bottom line is, i need to be able to carry it around comfortably. (while it is running). that sheevaplug thing is the perfect size but... i need it to run on a battery. so no go.
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: May 09, 2009 5:56:30 AM
With some sort of touch-sensitive LCD display as well, I suppose? I think you can put linux on a Palm PDA like a Tungsten TX. I haven't tried that yet, though I have considered it in the past. No time to futz with it is my main excuse. :-) [Modified by: Rubberman on May 08, 2009 11:57 PM]

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya