This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 07, 2009 at 11:22:47 AM
Subject: Multi-Part Zip File Unzip from Bin-Bash / Command Prompt
I have searched the internet from end to end and I have not found an answer to: How to unzip a multi-part zip file on Linux. I have need to zip large files in to smaller pieces, upload them to a web server, and then access the web server via Putty (Bin-Bash), to unzip the multi-part zip file. Note, I can re-zip (compress any way you suggest), and re-upload the files, if that is what you recommend - to make this easier. Help! There may be cryptic ways to accomplish this, but I'm seeking to use a tool like 7-zip to compress the files. A straight forward 1, 2, 3, solution would be greatly appreciated. A Linux guru that is an expert in 'dumbing down' the techno-linux in to understandable jargon, to the rescue! Greatfully, DougABC123 activekidzsports.com

DougABC123 http://activekidzsports.com

Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 07, 2009 1:05:45 PM
Sorry for the bad formatting here, but this should work: Have all your multi-part files in directory: cat multi-files.* > merged-files.zip : zip -F merged-files.zip : unzip merged-files.zip
dougabc123
Joined May 07, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 12, 2009 1:11:31 AM
Just to clarify: 1. upload the zip files in a multi-part zip file format. 2. use the cat function (concatenate) to merge the files in to a single zip file. 3. use the unzip command to unzip the files. Result: Able to upload smaller files. Able to manipulate the smaller files back in to a single zip file. Able to unzip the zip file. Big huge file uploaded. Question: Are any of the following questions effected by the concatenate above? What zip file format do you recommend? gzip zip (7z, BZip2, Tar <- I'm shying away from these formats for some unknown reason) What compression method do you recommend? Deflate Deflate64 LZMA BZip2 How do the dictionary size and word size effect this process? Can encryption be used? Doug [quote=Reed]Sorry for the bad formatting here, but this should work: Have all your multi-part files in directory: cat multi-files.* > merged-files.zip : zip -F merged-files.zip : unzip merged-files.zip [/quote] [Modified by: dougabc123 on May 11, 2009 07:12 PM]

Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 12, 2009 12:15:59 PM
Hmm, I misread your first post a little. I thought you had created a multi-part zip volume already, and what I listed is specific to multi-part .zip files. It's just saying, if you have multi-part files, .zip001, .zip002, etc, combine them into one zip file, fix (-F) the archive, and unzip them. With other formats, you don't generally have to do anything special. For example, if I had a 7z multi-part volume, you would just point 7z at the first part of the volume to extract: 7z e myfile.7z.001 : As for which, I believe lzma has the best compression (7z uses lzma), with bzip2 coming in second, and bzip2 is probably faster.
dougabc123
Joined May 07, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 12, 2009 12:41:59 PM
Thank you Reed. I greatly appreciate your reply. I'm limited to the software on my web site hosting company's Debian Linux 64-bit servers. Although, they most definitely support gzip and zip, so I think I'll stick to zip because it easily supports encryption on the 7z GUI. Here's my question: After making a multi-part zip archive, and uploading them to the web server, how do I unzip the multi-part archive from a command prompt using Putty and Bin Bash commands? What is the command line syntax. Thank you again.

Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya