This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 04, 2009 at 9:11:29 PM
Subject: Logitech Webcam
I have a USB Logitech Webcam, I'd like to know if it's possible to use it with Ubuntu 8.04, cause as of now it's showing devices not found thanks
Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 05, 2009 12:38:03 AM
As I understand it, and UVC compatible webcam should work under linux. Look here for your device: http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices : you can find more info about your device by opening a terminal and typing "lsusb" (without quotes).
intelliware
Joined May 06, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 06, 2009 12:39:58 PM
You should have told the the entire name of that webcam. Anyway, it is likely to be not an uvc cam but a v4l cam. You can look for the package named "gspcav....." First make a lsusb to see if you can see something about your cam. If there is nothing there, there is hope with package I mentioned above. After you grab the package, for your 2.6 kernel, the installation is described inside the Install or Readme file.. After that, issue a rmmod gspca and then modprobe gspca. Or to be sure, make a restart to you ubuntu... After that, your came should appear as an usb device ( lsusb ) and should work with the most apps: Skype, Ekiga, Cheese...etc. [Modified by: intelliware on May 06, 2009 12:43 PM]
jojo compas
Joined Feb 18, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 06, 2009 5:51:05 PM
Webcam name is: Logitech Quickcam, I believe it's the same series as of the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. Thanks for your Help
intelliware
Joined May 06, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 07, 2009 12:27:21 PM
Try the gspca driver for your cam.. it has to work. Grab the gspca, build it, install it, and then for you to be sure that the module is loaded, just restart the computer, and it has to work with all the software available. And not to forget, if the your camera is working after that, try to post all the information abou the webcam (Quick Cam Connect whatever), and then everything that lsusb will display about it. It will help everybody to know what to buy for their linux boxes... Of course, other details would be nice too, like the OS, and kernel version. [Modified by: intelliware on May 07, 2009 12:30 PM]
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya