This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 02, 2009 at 8:22:43 AM
Subject: Installation on laptop using S-Video Output
I currently have a laptop with no LCD attached to it and am trying to install Fedora 10 using the S-Video Out port on the laptop but every time it gets to the point where the visual installation should come up I only get a black screen. Is this at all possible? I have no other way of installing it short of buying a new LCD. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Back to top Profile Email Website
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: May 04, 2009 8:30:49 PM
Does your laptop have some "hot keys" to switch between LCD and VGA (or whatever)? You might try those. Sometimes they are hard-wired to do that. I know it's worked for me before with Linux, though I haven't tried the S-Video thing, only the VGA output.

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
onedementedsmurf
Joined May 02, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 05, 2009 5:32:12 PM
It does have the hot keys for switching between LCD and VGA but unfortunately that doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Back to top Profile Email Website
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: May 05, 2009 5:57:47 PM
Sorry. Other than looking in the BIOS settings for something to enable s-video output all the time, I can't think of anything. You might try posting your question on www.linuxforums.org - it has many more participants these days since this site will soon be replace with a new one that is currently undergoing beta testing. Linux.com was bought from SourceForge by The Linux Foundation earlier this year, and they are preparing to relaunch it, but right now this forum isn't well supported.

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya