This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print this topic | You are not subscribed
Other Topics
Posted Apr 27, 2009 at 4:47:07 PM
Subject: Errors When trying to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10
Hello all So Im pretty new to linux, I understand the basic commands and I have to upgrade my servers to 8.04. I have 1 and 7.04 and 1 and 7.10. Im trying to upgrade the one at 7.04 and I was able to download and update all of the old updates from the old repositories. I was then able to install the update-manager-core. However when I try to run the command do-release-upgrade i get the following errors. # do-release-upgrade Checking for a new ubuntu release Failed Upgrade tool signature Failed Upgrade tool Done downloading extracting '/tmp/tmpQPspbm/gutsy.tar.gz' Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 45, in <module> fetcher.run() File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/Core/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 160, in run if not self.extractDistUpgrader(): File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/Core/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 98, in extractDistUpgrader tar = tarfile.open(self.tmpdir+"/"+os.path.basename(self.uri),"r") File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1139, in open return func(name, "r", fileobj) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/tarfile.py", line 1200, in gzopen fileobj = file(name, mode + "b") IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmpQPspbm/gutsy.tar.gz' Can anyone help please?
Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 6:34:42 PM
I suggest posting at www.linuxforums.org/forum, since linux.com is being redone. If at all possible, I would also suggest doing a clean install rather than trying to upgrade through two versions like that. Probably the issue is that neither 7.04 or 7.10 are supported anymore and the web address for the repositories has changed - I think to here: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/. You'll need to redo your sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list), to have the correct repository addresses.
moon
Joined May 06, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 06, 2009 3:17:13 PM
hi i am moon shahzad i installed linux redhat server edition in graphical mode i want to convert it text mode how can i convert it text mode pls tell me.
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: May 06, 2009 11:42:00 PM
[quote=moon]hi i am moon shahzad i installed linux redhat server edition in graphical mode i want to convert it text mode how can i convert it text mode pls tell me.[/quote] You should post this in a new thread. You can change your system to boot to runlevel 3 by editing the file /etc/inittab. Change the line that reads "id:5:initdefault:" to read "id:3:initdefault:" - then reboot. That will make your system boot to a text login prompt and log you in to the command line.

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya