This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Apr 21, 2009 at 7:51:29 PM
Subject: Which is the closest Linux that looks like windows
I'm just tired of windows and I've been with MS since 3.1 and DOS times but lately with all the viruses (Confliker, Dam you) I just feel I have to reinstall the whole OS every 6 months or so completely. I like the windows interface and how most things work but Vista is to slow and XP is getting old fast. Always my wife's side has either bugs or lots of pop ups about problems. I've been checking Linux for quite sometime but between Ubuntu and all the other Linux I have no clue which one will look and work like windows (but without the bugs). Also I kow software like Nero has to be linux compatible but are there lots of limitations for programs or do most of them come ready for Linux?
Back to top Profile Email Website
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 8:16:02 PM
Linux is very customizable, so it is possible to make it look like windows. I don't know that any of the better distros make an effort to look like windows by default, however. Seem to me like the basic stuff is pretty similar, though. You have your panel, a menu button, a system tray, etc. (Well, really it depends on your window manager/desktop environment, but I wouldn't worry too much about that right now.) This site lists some alternatives to windows programs: http://www.linuxalt.com/ : I suggest you try Ubuntu 9.04, which is the new release available for download in a couple days. Also, I recommend reading this : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows
C3RV3ZA
Joined Apr 21, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 9:57:19 PM
Thanks for the info, it was very helpful and I will make the switch this week as soon as I find a bigger exterior HDD to save some files I need.
Dexter
Joined Mar 09, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:16:42 PM
you could try installing xpde (xp desktop environment) on your system after installing linux and most gnome and kde programs should work just fine on it

my linuxforums.org account is dexter855

Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya