This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Mar 12, 2009 at 8:02:24 PM
Subject: Does anyone know how to get an HP webcam to work on Opensuse
I have a 1.3 megapixel HP webcam for PC with built in mic, and I just can't figure out how to get it to work. I have searched the web and hp's site, and came up with nothing. Has anyone figured out how to get an HP cam to work. I was thinking wine, but I haven't figured out how to install and use that yet.

Thanks, Kevin(noob) - Running Opensuse 11.0/Gnome & Window XP-SP3(dual boot) | Toshibe M-35 Satellite | 1.4GHz Intel Centrino | 2 Gig ram(max'd) | nvidia video GeForce 5200 - beta driver loaded

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
c21aakevin
Joined Mar 04, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 12:47:35 AM
I just tried using wine-doors to load the drivers. They loaded, but will not mount. When I restarted, it said hp web could not mount. It knows it's there, but will not run. I can not find in the directories.

Thanks, Kevin(noob) - Running Opensuse 11.0/Gnome & Window XP-SP3(dual boot) | Toshibe M-35 Satellite | 1.4GHz Intel Centrino | 2 Gig ram(max'd) | nvidia video GeForce 5200 - beta driver loaded

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
blinky
Joined Jan 08, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:22:34 AM
you need to get the USB ID? for the webcam. Plug it iin and run lsusb (as root). Then google for the ID and Linux. The porblem is the OEM (usually in China) manufacturer's for these type of devices change the chipset. The dipstick's ( another way of sayying assoles?) don't care about anything besides windows. Once you have the USB id go should be able to google for the driver (If it'srecent device and done properley (for vista) then UVC probably handle it. ok - but your milage might vary). <Rant> What pisses me off is HP/Dell and people like IBM use opensoucrce , but can't be bothered to support it and most of the Chinese OEM places can't give a shit (eg Tenda "http://www.tenda.cn/" who violiate the GPL) - The sooner these retards are out of business the better. If I had it my way, I would cut the balls (testicles) of the CEO/CTO etc. of these companies - because they want to (freely) use the hard work of all the guys/girls that actually do the real work that produce the software that at the same time disregard their obligation's. </Rant> I apologise spelling mistakes (and content any that might offend) in this post, but I've had 8 can (500mL each) of beer ;). But if you get usbid then someone (hopefully) will be able to help.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates

Back to top Profile Email Website
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 1:48:04 AM
Go to this web site for information, drivers, etc for making web cams work under Linux: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html I was able to get my wife's Mac camera to work on CentOS with the information and such found there.

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
pp1212
Joined Mar 15, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: May 10, 2009 3:22:02 PM
Back to top Profile Email Website
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya