This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Mar 03, 2009 at 5:06:57 AM
Subject: trying to navigate to external hard drive searching for help
as the title said I'm currently am trying to navigate using the command line, I know four commands total, man-, cd, sudo, and ls. I run Ubuntu 8.10 hardy heron, I'm trying to navigate to the external hard drive because I tried to install some linux on it a while ago like a normal hard drive, it acted like I bad mouthed it's mother and decided not to work, I have just recently been able to get my computer to accept that it has the device plugged into it by repeatedly unplugging it and plugging it back in. i don't know if it will work afterwards but I want to navigate to it so that I can delete everything on it using something like sudo. I can navigate to it on the GUI by going to places and computer and i can get to it by doing the following commands: cd .. cd.. cd media cd SimpleDrivePS but when I try to find the files that are on the hard drive I'm left with: . .. .created_by_pmount any help on this would be simply awesome, also if anyone else has had this problem i'd like to hear how they fixed it if they did. thankyou!
Back to top Profile Email Website
Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 4:51:25 PM
What file system is on that external drive? Also, it would normally appear auto-mounted as /media/disc_name where disc_name is the label on the drive partition, or /media/disk if there is no label on it.

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
ghost
Joined Dec 11, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 8:54:24 PM
rubberman, i think that i tried installing ubuntu on it, the os files that are on it are the same as whats on my system that I'm running now (no, i'm not mistaking my computer's os files with the ones that are on the hard drive) i'm trying to get rid of those files because they are preventing me from using it as a normal storage device.
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 9:55:54 PM
Not that it isn't nice to know how, but why do you need to use the command line to do this? If you're not looking to save any files off it, I'd just reformat it with gparted. : http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted (this link is for a live-cd distro centered around the application, but I believe ubuntu has the program installed by default.): Usually for external drives, you should format it to FAT32. Note that you need to have the drive unmounted before partitioning. Note: Be very careful about which partition or drive you're selecting, as you can accidentally wipe your internal hard drive! [Modified by: Reed on March 03, 2009 04:56 PM]
ghost
Joined Dec 11, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 06, 2009 4:42:53 AM
I feel that it will build character to learn how to do it the hard way, also known as the most-of-the-time-is-right-way, though if i can't do what i want to with the command line i'll probably just resort to the gparted, thankyou anyway!
tim285
Joined Mar 10, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 11, 2009 3:33:17 PM
If you know the disk label try "mount | grep <label>" This will return the path to that mount point.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya