This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Mar 03, 2009 at 1:48:06 AM
Subject: Wireless Network
Today's my first day working with linux. I installed Kubuntu on a separate partition and have no idea how to connect to the internet. I have a PCI wireless card and a lynksys router, and my driver install disc has all windows executables. Is there any easy way to make this work?
Back to top Profile Email Website
debster
Joined Jan 17, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 12:11:50 PM
Hi, To help you we need a bit more information about you networking card and your router settings. If you could tell us the model and brand of your card as well as the type of security settings the router is using (WEP, WPA or open). Have you tried using the Network Manager? I believe there should be a little icon on the task bar that allows you to change the network settings. If your card is supported setting this up should be fairly straight forward. regards
Reed
Joined Feb 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 2:29:15 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs
blackwaltzbw5
Joined Mar 03, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 3:49:42 PM
First, thanks for the assistance, I really appreciate it. My wireless card is a Zonet PCI 802.11 b/g, the model number is ZEW1602. My router is a wireless b, and it's set to Open security. I went to the website Reed suggested and didn't find my card on the list (the list had Zonet ZEW1601, and it doesn't work out of the box) My brother stumbled across a guide for installing wireless card drivers online (I'll have to ask him where he got it though), and after following the instructions it still won't detect anything in the network manager. He thinks it's because the manger is looking for a g network instead of a b. If that's what's going on, is there a way to change it.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya