This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Dec 19, 2008 at 6:20:06 PM
Subject: How to setup symlink for directory?
Hi, I have application which uses /usr/local/folder_name to store the data. The problem is, my server has only 5 GB available space there, while /home has 450 GB. How can i setup symlink to force application using /home/folder_name ? Can anyone help please? Thanks
Back to top Profile Email Website
thobbs
Joined Oct 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 6:58:50 PM
Move the folder to your home directory and then set up the symbolic link: [code=xml] >mv /usr/local/folder_name ~/folder_name >ln -s ~/folder_name /usr/local/folder_name[/code]
sash
Joined Oct 14, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 1:25:07 AM
Thanks for help thobbs. Now I have error in application. Cannot connect to the destination. Any Idea?
thobbs
Joined Oct 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 4:22:59 AM
What application is it? What is the specific error? By "destination" is it referring to /usr/local/folder_name?
sash
Joined Oct 14, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 8:35:37 PM
I am using search application which stores data in /usr/local/siets/data The application itself creates subfolders in folder "data" and than writes to that subfolder. So, I need to force this application to see /home as /usr/local/siets/data Whatever I try, it just doesn't work.
sash
Joined Oct 14, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 11:30:52 AM
Fixed. Thanks thobbs for help. I am on CentOS and the command was: mv /usr/local/siets/data /home ln -s /home/data /usr/local/siets Now the application uses /home with no errors.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya