This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Nov 22, 2008 at 8:55:52 AM
Subject: How to replace windows vista on a laptop with linux.
Just curious if someone could help me with how to do this. How does the OS recognize hardware like the touch pad and all the drives and everything? Do I need a specific version for my specific laptop?
Back to top Profile Email Website
craig/asux
Joined Jun 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:47:35 AM
i have to laptops now .1 is eee pc .2 compaq armada .i the eee pc is the one i whont say hard but makes me work to find fixs for it .if some thing didnt load there are ather ways to load it .on how it recongnize it i am not 100% on that .
AdrenalineJunky
Joined Nov 22, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:04:15 PM
more then likely it will detect everything for you, i'd recomend simply mepis - www.mepis.org, because its got very good hardware detection and great tools for people new to linux. what i would recomend is downloading a live/installation cd, seeing if everything works right, and if it does, then it should all work right when installed.

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Other Topics
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:13:11 PM
Mepis is a fine operating system for New Linux users.

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Other Topics
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 11:16:30 PM
I also recommend keeping Vista and running dual boot till you get used to linux. This fine install tutorial was written when Mepis 6.5 was the latest Mepis. But the install still applies for later releases. http://www.tomlinux.ca/introduction_to_linux.html

Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya