This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print this topic | You are not subscribed
Other Topics
Posted Oct 12, 2007 at 3:41:30 PM
Subject: Plz... help meh !! plz plz plz... :-(
how can i see my cdrom contents from it? how can i view my hard disk stuff ?
Back to top Profile Email Website
LlNUX
Joined Aug 27, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 1:41:49 AM
> how can i see my cdrom contents from it http://www.linuxconfig.org/HowTo_mount_cdrom_in_linux#Mounting_CD > how can i view my hard disk stuff ? http://www.linuxconfig.org/Mount for additional linux commands: http://www.linuxconfig.org/Portal:Linux_Commands
PHO3N!X
Joined Oct 11, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 9:09:31 AM
Thank you very very very very much !![:d]... Haven't tried it yet but i think it will definately works... thanx again !! :-D
DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 7:56:54 PM
i was having the same questions... and now i read those.. but it says "now navigate to them"... how? EDIT : plus i would like to know how to mount a floppy drive (my comp is ooollddd) EDIT # 2: I think I might have figured out how to navigate using the command line.... if i say "open <directory>".. but i tried it with the floppy drive ("open /mnt/floppy/") but it said something like vt 3 cannot be opened it didnt have permission or something. [Modified by: DeltaFolee on October 20, 2007 07:59 PM] [Modified by: DeltaFolee on October 20, 2007 08:30 PM]
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 8:48:54 PM
You will have to first mount the floppy drive. What distro are you using? The first thing to do is create a mount point. You need to be the root user. Open a terminal and 1. su - type the root password 2. mkdir /mnt/floppy 3. mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy you will have to replace fd0 with whatever is the floppy device.

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 8:59:02 PM
I'm using Damn Small Linux, and it has an automounter that i thought (since it's in the name) would automatically mount the drive... i clicked the button and it claims it mounted at /mnt/floppy/ im very new and i hav no idea how to be the root user
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:00:30 PM
OK, so DSL has mounted the floppy disk. What are the contents of this disk? There shouldn't be any permission issues here.

DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:03:41 PM
erlier i had used one of the editors (something-writer) to save a file titled hello onto it funny, because the program could get to the floppy drive, but the command line wont do it i just went to this computer again... i tried using the automounter with the hard drive (mounted it at /mnt/hda1/) and the Xterminal still couldnt do anything... it keeps saying cannot open vt 3: permission denied... am i using the correct command? ("open /mnt/floppy/") plus, the floppy has been used for windows purposes before, but i deleted all windows files from it. could this be the problem? i cannot install DSL to my HDD, as my HDD is windows and i do not feel like partitioning it and losing my data (plus im too darned lazy to take the time to partition my drive) any help would be great, thanks [Modified by: DeltaFolee on October 20, 2007 09:09 PM]
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:09:19 PM
The command to change into a directory is cd. I just reread your post and realized you were using open! Use cd /mnt/floppy to browse to the floppy.

DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:10:08 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:16:49 PM
ok, now FLwriter says it cannot read file when i try to save to my floppy.. apparently it is blank.. i put the floppy in a windows computer and it says that the floppy it not formatted and asks if i would like to format it now... i said NO.. should i say yes?
DeltaFolee
Joined Oct 20, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 10:01:40 PM
Figured it out... new topic on forum for my next plight lol
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya