This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

LRT
Other Topics
Posted Aug 17, 2008 at 10:21:53 PM
Subject: Skype for Linpus Linux Lite 10.6
Bought an Acer Aspire One few days ago. Although I am overall very happy with this computer, I have been totally unable to download the software to run skype. Could anyone help me? I have two questions and lots of doubts (as I am not a computerwised person). 1- What is the recommended skype software to use? I tried downloading most of the softwares I found on Skype's website with no success. 2- How can I download and run this program into my AcerOne? Thanks, LRT
Back to top Profile Email Website
proopnarine

Joined Apr 03, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 18, 2008 5:43:16 AM
Which Linux distribution are you running on this machine?

Take the red pill

Climate Change Blog

Food Weblog

LRT
Joined Aug 17, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 7:32:24 AM
I am using Linpus Linux Lite 10.6. I am trying to install the Skype. Could you give me a hint as to how to do so? Thanks, LRT
baldwiew
Joined Aug 27, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 7:06:12 PM
Just finished helping my brother-in-law in Austria. The solution is very simple. The Acer Aspire one has as an operating system , "Linpus Linux" which is based on Fedora. Step1 go to:- http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=176351 read from top to bottom but do not do anything until getting to the last response by Tony Nguyen Step 2 Download Fedora 6 from the following site:- http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/ Step 3 After down loading go to the downloads folder and you should see the following file "skype-2.0.0.72-fc5.i586.rpm Step 4 double click on the file. You will now be asked for the root password. Without the password you will not be able to do anything further. SO.. Step 5 Find the terminal application. This is like the old Windows "cmd" that gives a text command console to enter commands except this will be in a half gui format. You should see a "$" sign. Immediately after this type "sudo su" without inverted coma's. This will return a message and finally a "#". This means you are now in as "root" user. Root is the "Administartor equivalent in Microsoft. Now type "passwd". It will ask you for your new password. Enter the new password.and enter. You will not see any keystrokes. This is so that peeking eyes will not see your root password. You will be asked to re-enter the password. if you make a mistake it will tell you so else it will accept the password. DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD ELSE YOU ARE DEAD IN THE WATER., It is the only way you will be able to access your system to make changes. Step 6 Going back to step 4. Enter in your new password and you will see the application beginning to install. Be patient. It will take about 7 minutes to comple and will tell you that the installation is succesful. Step 7 Do Alt+F2, type"skype" and enter to run the application. Alt+F2 is the run command. Step 8 Set up Skype as you would normally for any other operating system. I did this over the phone to austri and the whole process took about 30 minutes. Only because the other side was very new to Linux on the Acer Aspire One. First exposure. So you can do it. Good luck.
damo
Joined Aug 31, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 3:59:38 AM
Hi guys (and probably gals), new to this Linux stuff and i must say im very impressed... however, following baldwiew's process all i got to was a blank 'installing packages' window which it stuck on for a very long time... i've also tried it with a couple of other programs and i have the same issue, namely "winRAR" to which i followed the process if its to be installed on Fedora. The other thing was the "Add/remove software" program worked once and now when i run it, i get a 'retrieving software information' dialog box and then freezes... got any ideas anyone? Thanks.
baldwiew
Joined Aug 27, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 31, 2008 2:56:53 PM
Hey "damo". I'm not sure where you got stuck exactly. Are you trying to install Skype for the Acer Aspire one. Unfortunately one must be very precise with this stuff else it will all go wrong. Check in on you again soon!!
damo
Joined Aug 31, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 02, 2008 4:07:53 PM
Yeah, twas Skype that i'm trying on the Asus Aspire One using linpus linux OS, plus a medley of other progs. Still getting blank screen on the installing programs GUI... starting to get the feeling this is something that Asus don't particularly want ppl installing stuff on here... i know the process of what should happen, its just that its not doing it. Has anyone been successful in installing any other software on this system?
proopnarine

Joined Apr 03, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 03, 2008 5:36:10 AM
Hi damo. Probably has nothing to do with Asus, but rather a problem with your Fedora/Linpus. Have you tried to install anything from the command line? Open up a terminal, login as root and type yum clean all then yum update and let's see what happens.

Take the red pill

Climate Change Blog

Food Weblog

damo
Joined Aug 31, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 03, 2008 3:10:30 PM
tried it, no luck... [root@localhost user]# yum clean all doesn't do anything... Here are the processes i used, just in case theres something i missed: Alt+f2... 'run program' command, typed in "sudo su"... this brought up the terminal... after the [root@localhost user]#... i typed in "yum clean all" and pressed enter, the cursor went down to the next line and remained blank. remained this way for 10 mins... Another process i tried was when typing into the run program GUI, i typed "sudo su yum clean all" this opened and then closed the terminal window very quickly. It seems that it attempts to do something and then gets stopped. I'm quite happy with the system as it is but would like an unrar utility and skype. Any thoughts?
jazzyfish
Joined Sep 09, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 09, 2008 7:13:05 PM
Thanks baldwiew! It worked for me. I didn't need to go into terminal as superuser - Skype instaled itself properly without that step. Now I wonder how to get an icon onto the desktop. Running Alt+F2, "skype" each time is a bit of a hassle. Ideally, Skype would start on boot. Any idea how to start Skype on boot?
jameson
Joined Sep 10, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 10, 2008 10:54:13 AM
I'm in the same situation. I have an ACER aspire one running Linpus Linux lite 1.0.3.E I have tried to find a version of skype that will run on this machine, but so far I have had no luck. I have followed all of the directions, but can't seem to correctly install the program. I have used the terminal to attempt an install, as well as a "regular" install by double clicking on the file that I downloaded into my "download" folder. Both times, I came up with messages telling me that there were some missing dependencies. This is the error message: error resolving dependancies unable to resolve dependencies for some packages selected for installation. details> Missing dependency: libQtDBus.so.4 is needed by package skype Missing dependency: libQtNetwork.so.4 is needed by package skype Missing dependency: libQtCore.so.4 is needed by package skype Missing dependency: libQtGui.so.4 is needed by package skype Missing dependency: qt4-x11 >= 4.2 is needed by package skype Any solutions? Where do I find those dependencies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
Joined May 06, 2014

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 9:39:56 PM
I have succeeded with the centos version tonight
Back to top Profile Email
Lalo
Joined Sep 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 4:57:11 AM
Hi Baldwiew, I just got the AspireOne and am new to Linux. your instruction seam clear but my problem start when you have to put in the pass word... My problem is I never picked one, when I first turned it on today o=while it was setting up it asked me to choose a password, since I'm the only one using I figured I would leave it blank. however when it ask me for a password, it does not except a blank field... What should I do???? I lost...
sam
Joined Sep 13, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 5:03:50 PM
Lalo try this. 1. Open a terminal window by right-clicking on the desktop and select > Terminal. 2. Type "sudo su" at the command prompt and hit Enter. 3. Type "passwd" and hit Enter. 4. Enter a new root password. Your password cannot be a dictionary word; use a combination of letters and numbers. Press Enter. 5. Retype your password. Your new password is set.
leigh
Joined Nov 14, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 5:49:49 PM
Can anyone help? I am new to linux and got acer one netbook, tried to download skype using the detailed instructions above. However, when i go to downloads file and click on the skype, enter password then it comes up with a box - Exception Occurred Component: pirut Summary: TBc0c9275d config.py:680:_getsysver:TypeError: rpmdb open failed Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/sbin/system-install-packages", line 355, in <module> main() File "/usr/sbin/system-install-packages", line 348, in main pkginst = SinglePackageInstaller() File "/usr/sbin/system-install-packages", line 63, in __init__ GraphicalYumBase.__init__(self, False) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pirut/__init__.py", line 129, in __init__ plugin_types=(yum.plugins.TYPE_CORE,)) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 113, in doConfigSetup errorlevel=errorlevel) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 159, in _getConfig self._conf = config.readMainConfig(startupconf) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 613, in readMainConfig yumvars['releasever'] = _getsysver(startupconf.installroot, startupconf.distroverpkg) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 680, in _getsysver idx = ts.dbMatch('provides', distroverpkg) TypeError: rpmdb open failed Local variables in innermost frame: installroot: / ts: <rpmUtils.transaction.TransactionWrapper instance at 0x858cfcc> distroverpkg: redhat-release I have tried to click the debug and the save to file but nothing seems to happen and each time i try i can't get passed this stage. Please someone help me!
thoham
Joined Feb 17, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 8:55:08 PM
This looked way too complex for me, on my first day of Linux and all. So I just downloaded the Fedora 7 version of Skype, and used the installer. When asked for the root pwd, use "111111". (A simple google search revealed this on the Acer site.) I used the file manager to create a link from /usr/bin/ to my documents folder. Hopefully I'll figure out how to add apps to the desktop, else it has to go. Except for the clunky startup procedure, it seems to work like a charm.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya