This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

TJ
Other Topics
Posted Jun 27, 2008 at 2:15:44 AM
Subject: dual booting puppy linux and windows
Other than formatting my hard drive and installing ubuntu once on it I am completely new to Linux and what I want to do is to dual boot puppy linux and windows 2000. I have tried using the instructions that came with puppylinux.org however this didn't help me because when i partitioned my har drive, my partition was hda5 not hda2 and when I went to edit menu.lst the two lines that began with "map" that i had to put #'s before were not there. I tried to install grub however, I would like to try another bootloader other than grub or lilo. Possible windows bootloader but I have no idea where to begin on this. If anyone has any other boot lpaders that they think would work well other than the windows boot loader, go ahead and suggest those too. Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Profile Email Website
proopnarine

Joined Apr 03, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 5:47:25 AM
If you skipped to hda5 without knowing it, then you actually have more partitions on your drive than you realize. You may have a logical partition on there. Have you tried using fdisk to view your partition table?

Take the red pill

Climate Change Blog

Food Weblog

TJ
Joined Jun 27, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 27, 2008 6:58:52 AM
I used partition magic to make my partition and the installer for puppy only gives me the option to install on hda1 or hda5, but i'll need to check that out. When i was using partition magic though it only showed 2 partitions: the original and the one i made. I'll look again though but it won't be until about saturday.
Bob
Joined Apr 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 7:48:06 AM
You can install Puppy to its own partition, but you don't need to. You can install it into a Win (or other) partition without disrupting the content and use it there. Puppy is readily run as a "frugal" installation - a read-only file set similar to a liveCD which uses a pup-save file for persistence (to maintain changes between boots). There's an installation option in the Universal installer. It's easy to upgrade it if installed that way too. Also, I think its preferred to run it that way given its security design. What is it that you don't like about GRUB? It has always worked well for me. I multiboot into WinXP, Ubuntu, and Puppy. GRUB configuration is easy and flexible, and it can be conveniently re-installed if needed. I don't know if the bootloader used by Win is configurable, and I've never heard of anyone using it for anything other than single-boot to Win. I assumed it uses the "there can be only one" concept. I'd use the Linux partition tools as proopnarine mentioned: fdisk, cfdisk, or gparted. They're more capable/powerful/informative and often provided directly during installation. The system rescue distros with disk management utilities are great tools to have on hand too. [Modified by: Bob on June 28, 2008 08:00 AM]
TJ
Joined Jun 27, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 28, 2008 6:35:30 PM
I think what i'll try to do now is to do a frugal install. I'm also assuming that even if i do a frugal install, i will still have to install GRUB. I really didn't have problem with GRUB i was just wanting to know if there were other options. Also, i was wondering if i simply installed puppy to my flash drive, started up windows and popped in my flash drive, if i would be able to start up puppy within windows from my flash drive. Thanks [Modified by: TJ on June 28, 2008 01:43 PM]
Bob
Joined Apr 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 30, 2008 12:28:39 AM
Yes, you'd still need GRUB to launch Win vs Puppy if Puppy is installed frugally on your hard drive. There are a few options for running Puppy inside Windows (win host). I have run Puppy within Win using virtualization via Virtualbox (free, at http://www.virtualbox.org/). If your hardware is up to it, you can use that. An alternative is to use qemu (also free), but I haven't tried it that way. Sounds like it works though: http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old-wikka-wikki/categoryderivative/qemupuppy As you asked, you could also install Puppy to a flash drive and boot/run it from there without affecting your Win installation. If you can set your bios to boot to USB, you can install Puppy (and GRUB) to the flash drive and save your pup-save file there as well. I have done this, and note that this also works non-destructively on the flash drive content. You should use vfat format on the drive(probably what the drive came with, I had problems when choosing to reformat my flash drive to ext2 for Puppy installation but vfat worked perfectly). These are options in the installer too. Remember that with Puppy loaded to RAM, you can remove the liveCD after booting and use the drive as usual. So you could just boot from a CD whenever you want Puppy and save the pup-save file to your Win hard drive without disrupting anything on your computer. Puppy has more installation options than any other distro I've seen.
TJ
Joined Jun 27, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jul 02, 2008 11:37:54 PM
Cool thanks for the info. Actually i was able to fix the problem, and grub actually gave me the option of opening win or puppy. The only thing i did different this time was that i used gparted instead of partition magic. Thanks for the help.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya