This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jun 13, 2008 at 6:56:27 PM
Subject: Please Help..
Hello All, I have done some research on Linux and finally ready to change my OS but I am very confused about the ins and out of Linux (Distros). What could you recommend I start with? Ubuntu seems favourable but which is more flexible and consistant? Any help would be appreciated
Back to top Profile Email Website
scrumtrulecent
Joined Jun 13, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 7:04:01 PM
Many other threads on here about the same question. What are you looking to do with Linux? If it's just web browsing and word processing, any of the popular distros can handle it. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva...
sinned3k
Joined Jun 13, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 7:09:36 PM
Not just web browsing and wording processing but also for some web development. Besides the nice interface, I am more interested in tools that will enable me to design and run different applications. thanks
scrumtrulecent
Joined Jun 13, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 8:50:28 PM
I think either Ubuntu or Fedora will be your best bet (Ubuntu being very popular at the moment). As for tools for web development, I'm not too familiar with them but the same tools are available for any popular distro. There's MonoDevelop for .Net applications (if you were wanting to do ASP). It even allows you to host asp pages with it which is cool. If you were wanting to do PHP development, LAMP is pretty easy to setup/configure (Apache, MySQL and PHP all in one package). A lot of how-to's out there on Google. These guys on here might have some better suggestions.
Valentim
Joined Jun 14, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 11:34:26 PM
I'm new at Linux too and I try a SAbayon on my desktop. It's working perfectly. I allready try Ubuntu but I have some problems with it. At the moment with Sabayon I'm very happy.
Back to top Profile Email Website MSN
sinned3k
Joined Jun 13, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 16, 2008 11:47:14 AM
Interesting.. I APPRECIATE ALL THE FEEDBACK..! I will carry out some hands-on testing to find the best possible suitors for me. Thanks All
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya