This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jun 12, 2008 at 5:33:01 AM
Subject: Puppy Linux problem
i have this old computer lying around and I was trying to make it useful by putting puppy linux on it. So what i did was boot up with the cd and it was running fine. linux eventually came up and I was really happy because it was beautiful. However, when i go to shut it asked me a bunch of questions and i picked the answers that i thought were right. Then I go to boot up again and it takes me to windows. i figure out that i need the cd in when it's booting up however when it gets to a point in the installation were it fails to copy to ram but i know that I have a least 132mb of ram left. What's going on! oh and i burned the image onto a CD-R disk
Back to top Profile Email Website
Bob
Joined Apr 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 13, 2008 6:49:38 AM
Subject: Puppy Linux problem
If you didn't install Puppy to your hard disk, you'll need the liveCD each time you boot. You can save any configuration and setting changes in a "pup-save" file which will be recognized and loaded at the next boot. This could be stored on a hard drive, flash drive, or the CD itself. The questions you answered when you shut down the first time likely were about the pup-save file option. The default option is to load an available pup-save file. However, if it becomes corrupted or you chose a configuration that crashes (X settings that won't work with your hardware, missing/conflicting components, etc.) the system might fail to fully boot. You can delete the pup-save file and it should boot normally. Alternatively, you can tell it to skip the pup-save file by indicating those boot options. Choose "puppy pfix=ram " to ignore the pup-save. If you saw Windows after reboot, its likely your CD wasn't loaded/recognized.
Back to top Profile Email Website
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya