This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jun 11, 2008 at 1:33:18 AM
Subject: Running Ubuntu in a Virtualbox...question?
Hello Goog Afternonn,,, i installed Ubuntu in the Virtualbox, it runs excellent.. but i can not enable the desktop effects..does anybody knows how can enable the desktop effects in the virtualbox ??? thanks
Back to top Profile Email Website
Khabi
Joined Apr 21, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:49:25 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about things like the wobbly windows and other effects like that. You can't enable them if you run an os in a virtual machine (vmware / xen / virtualbox / qemu). Basically, because you're running it on all virtual hardware it has no real access to your video card besides basic functionality so it won't work. You also won't be able to run anything that needs 3D acceleration (games and such).
gilberto
Joined Jun 10, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 11, 2008 1:52:41 AM
thnks a lot Khabi.. for your help!!! :-)
Lawand
Joined Feb 06, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 06, 2009 10:24:34 PM
Well, would desktop effects work now, since Virtual Box added support for 3d acceleration?
Davitosan
Joined Feb 09, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 5:20:02 AM
The recent versions of VirtualBox come with something called Virtual Box Guest Additons. I used it to get OpenGL in WinXP, and some other features. Maybe it can enhance Ubuntu as well, but I'm not sure.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya