This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jun 09, 2008 at 10:51:26 PM
Subject: installing non-packaged software
I am relatively new to Linux [I use Kubuntu], and I am continually faced with a problem which is presented by the game, Rain-Slick. I downloaded the game and extracted it to its own file. Now what? I clicked on every file in hopes that there would be an installer, but nothing. I find this to be the only real problem I have with any of the various distributions [I have tried ten to fifteen distros], but it is terribly frustrating and significant enough to prevent me from recommending Linux to others.
Back to top Profile Email Website
Khabi
Joined Apr 21, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 09, 2008 11:08:27 PM
It really depends on what you're installing. I ended up getting the game on the Xbox, so I'm not sure about the linux install. Rule of thumb for any linux apps is that there should be a file called "README" or "INSTALL" in the archive you downloaded. Those *should* say what you need to do to install the application. I'll try and download the game when I get home from work, and I'll see how to install it for ya tho.
Khabi
Joined Apr 21, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 09, 2008 11:22:12 PM
Okay, so i just messed with it over VNC. I was able to get it running, they made an easy mistake it seems when making that tarball. There are two files you are interested in: RainSlickEp1 RainSlickEp1_bin The problem is that the first file runs the second one, but RainSlickEp1_bin isn't set as executable for some reason. So it just errors out when you run RainSlickEp1. So what you need to do: I'm not sure what gui you use, so I'm going to give you a quick how-to on how this works from the command line. Open up your terminal and cd to whatever directory you extracted the rainslickep1_linux_r3.tgz file to. In my case I did: 'cd /home/rick/rainslickep1' then set RainSlickEp1_bin to executable. 'chmod +x RainSlickEp1_bin' from there you can either open up your file browser and click on the 'RainSlickEp1' file, or type: './RainSlickEp1' The program should start, assuming there isn't some kind of odd dependecy problem.
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya