This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Jun 09, 2008 at 5:11:23 AM
Subject: 2 Ubuntu Music Machines
I've converted an old clunker HP Pentium III computer into my juke box hooked up to my home entertainment center. I put Ubuntu 7.10 and Amarok on it, and it's working great despite what an old machine that is. My original plan was to make that my only use of Linux. However, when I saw how terrific an OS Ubuntu is, I decided to expand my use of it. I ordered off for a debranded “No OS” HP, an Athlon 64 3800 with a gig of RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. I don’t have it yet, but will soon, probably tomorrow or the next day. The plan, for starters, is to put Ubuntu 8.04 and Amarok on it and network it to the Pentium III box via a simple wired network. That way I can edit my music collection on the better performing machine, which is also in my office and is hence more comfortable than the living room. So what I’ll want to do is copy via the network the music collection, the Amarok database and config files from the Pentium III to the Athlon 6400. Then I’ll do my editing and copy it back. (The result will also be a backup of my music collection.) I’m hoping there’s some Linux-based software that will let me do this easily. If I were doing this in Windows, I would use Second Copy (http://www.centered.com/). That program lets you set up profiles that always copy specific files to a location that you designate. I want to be able to create two profiles, one that all the necessary files from the Pentium III to the Athlon 64, and another that does the opposite. Obviously, I'll need the copying to be simple copying and not conversion into some kind of backup format. What program would you suggest for this? Also, should I upgrade the Pentium III's OS to Ubuntu 8.04?
Back to top Profile Email Website
Khabi
Joined Apr 21, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 10, 2008 12:06:17 AM
Well, you're in luck. There are plenty of applications for copying files between computers in linux. I would suggest looking up RSYNC or SCP (I don't use Ubuntu, so I'm not sure, but it *may* have a gui frontentd for either of these). I would suggest using rsync however. It basically copies files over a network connection. But its smart enough to only copy files that are new or have changed on the host machine over. So instead of copying 100 files, it only copies the 10 new ones, or the few ones you have made copies of. *EDIT* Looks like there is a gui for rsync afterall: http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/ No idea if thats in the Ubuntu repositories or not tho. [Modified by: Khabi on June 10, 2008 12:07 AM]
KeyserSoze93
Joined Jun 15, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 15, 2008 3:50:42 PM
is the machine in the office always on? because it might make more sense to keep the music on the office machine and put in in a network share, with something like Samba then play it over your network. Doing this will also allow you to play it on any other machine in the house, with either windows or linux...
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya