This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 29, 2008 at 10:00:36 PM
Subject: Linuxstatus.com
Hi ! folks I think a tool where stats over what linux users love or miss in their OS can be helpfull for linux developers. My early vision of this tool is a website where every registred user can rate every entities (ex: with a -5 to +5 "SELECT Ajax autoUpdate" ending each result line) This way, every one of us can express his needs or his statisfactions in linux parts, by voting for: (From the very global category to the very specific feature.) + a category (ex office) +a sub_category (address book) + an existing prog + a feature features and existing_prog are on the same level of hierarchy.But they could be associated. exemple: slice_tool |assigned to |Gimp; Krita; Pixel So the feature "Slice_tool" could be find (and rate) by browsing :: CG>image_editor>Gimp CG>image_editor>Krita CG>image_editor>Pixel Or CG>image_editor> ALL_features [search ="slice_tool"] The difference between this project and other "rating" project (like ohloh as an example) would be to compete the NEEDS of development rates rather than the POPULARITY rates and Activity rates of development. real world example:: Imagine I have some time and good will today, I'm a hadcore coder and linux lover, well what can i do for help ? -> I just check the website wich tell me what's the most needed features are and in wich existing program it would pleased the community ,to implement it. I can even, if there aren't any existing_prog associated to this feature, begin a brand new project. I was wondering what you were thinking about it and what was your ideas. ps:Maybe someone will better understand me with this drafty plan of the ["most needed"home page]:[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/schmitzdenis/SD8YD1oqY5I/AAAAAAAAAsU/Pk1LLx9mXx8/Linux_status.jpg?imgmax=640[/img]
Back to top Profile Email Website
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Jun 14, 2008 2:40:01 PM
Subject: Linuxstatus.com
Interesting concept, plasmo, but I don't see any real need for it, especially since it might lead to redundancy. You see, most projects have websites, and on their site they have information about the developmental status of the project, bugs, feature requests, documentation, etc. The development status depicts how usable and complete the project is. So, users can just share their opinions on the project website itself. Of course, their isn't any centralized repository/website where one can check up on all applications. Also, most of these projects have mailing lists or forum boards which can be used to request new developers to join in. Besides, the changelog has a TO DO section more often than not so it's not a mystery what the most sought after additions to the application are. Lastly, what you suggest is something that might not be credible at all. See, if you create a website and we are talking about GIMP and I come along and say it can't do this one thing very well and crashes whenever I try it. So I rate it only 1 star, reporting a new bug. And then someone else says, I don't have that problem, and I love GIMP, it's everything I hope for and he rates it 5 starts. The point is, I'm using Fedora 8, kernel whatever, GIMP version whatever, and the other fellow is on Mandriva, with a different kernel and GIMP. No doubt are mileages vary. So, having a repository that's not on the project page doesn't excite me that much. But that's just my opinion.

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya