This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted May 29, 2008 at 12:21:17 PM
Subject: Booting DSL?
Hello there, I have recently got the Damn Small Linux disk and I have never used Linux before. I booted the computer with the disk, so it would boot from the CD. I got past the boot setup and then two linux penguins appeared on the screen. After about 10 minutes they were still there and the computer didn't seem to be doing anything. I turned it off and restarted and the same thing happened. Should I wait longer for it to do something or what? Thanks, Danny
Back to top Profile Email Website
thrillriderdan
Joined May 28, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 29, 2008 6:34:09 PM
Also can anyone reccomend the best boot setup?
Bob
Joined Apr 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 29, 2008 8:50:04 PM
It should proceed past the two penguins to scrolling additional text pretty quickly (<10s). Sounds like some failure very early, but I'm not sure at what stage. Did you confirm the MD5sum of the downloaded file? Maybe there's some corruption of the CD. What are the specs of the computer you're attempting to use? DSL has quite good hardware recognition for basic booting (I've had better luck with booting DSL than several other distros), though items like wireless network cards are more problematic (show up later). Graphics support can be a sticking point with older hardware, so try the VESA video driver option.
Ante
Joined Mar 28, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 29, 2008 9:56:13 PM
can't offer much as well with that little info. absolutely no text that scrolled? off topic, DSL can't seem to see my ps2 mouse (mainboard is an ECS 651-M), but mleh...
Marcin
Joined May 26, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 29, 2008 10:37:38 PM
[quote=thrillriderdan]Also can anyone reccomend the best boot setup?[/quote] It depends of what computer do you have. DSL it's that kind of distribution that don't makes problems. For example I installed it, chaged CPU from Intel, to Amd i it still worked but kind of CPU can be problem. Mainly, the best boot setup is default. If not works you just have to know what you have and read options which are described when you press FX buttons - where X is a number from 1 to 12; if I have good memory in DSL there options just under F2 and F3 - you can check it and read them. I just can't remember all options in DSL, you didn't write anything about your computer and you didn't wrote anything about what is written on computer when DSL starts. I can just guessing that vga=771 can help if you have laptop or aspci=off (also for laptops), or both of this options, or some else options that you can read pressing FX buttons. There also can be problems if for example CD was burned on very high speed like 48. Good luck.
thrillriderdan
Joined May 28, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:51:57 AM
Hello there, My computer is a desktop and was designed for Vista. Sometimes when I try out other boot options, the penguins don't appear and the boot log runs straight down the screen. When it does that it gets as far as this: VP-IDE IDE controler at PCI slot 0.00 of 1 VP-IDE Chipset revision 7 VP-IDE Will probe irqs later VP-IDE Unknown VIA southbridge disabling DMA... When it gets to this point it won't go any further Does this help?
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya