This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Apr 25, 2008 at 6:03:32 PM
Subject: Sony Vaio wireless trouble
I just put kubuntu 8.04 on my sony vaio, model number vgn-nr260e, and the atheros wireless card dosen't work because it has a switch in the front used to turn the function on and off, the switch worked using vista but now the wireless dosent work period, even when i had the switch on while installing. I have the driver for it so i cant think of any reason it wouldnt work, if any one has had this happen to them and knows how to fix it i would be very gratefull for any help received.
Back to top Profile Email Website
proopnarine

Joined Apr 03, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 26, 2008 5:01:31 AM
Chuffer, is the card being recognized by kubuntu at all? Maybe turn it off, and then on again, and type dmesg and see if the system saw the card.

Take the red pill

Climate Change Blog

Food Weblog

chuffer
Joined Apr 25, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 5:32:52 PM
yeah, the card is recognized and kubuntu even installed the driver for it, the problem is that the switch wont turn the card like it did under vista.
proopnarine

Joined Apr 03, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 6:55:26 AM
I have a different model Vaio, and it works fine. So, if I understand you correctly, when you turn the switch to "on", kubuntu recognizes that the card has been activated? If yes, then there's probably something wrong with the LED indicator light, and your card is fine.

Take the red pill

Climate Change Blog

Food Weblog

chuffer
Joined Apr 25, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 14, 2008 6:25:48 PM
no, whether the switch is on or off dosent matter, the driver and hal are installed and i can see them in restricted hardware drivers but it dosent show a wireless device in network management or when i use iwconfig. [Modified by: chuffer on May 14, 2008 06:31 PM]
harmonic
Joined May 17, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:14:24 PM
chuffer I have exactly the same problem in ubuntu.. the atheros card driver and atheros hal are loaded.... i get nothing with iwconfig. The light does not turn on whether I switch it on or off.. when i go back to my vista partition everything works fine (light and all)
harmonic
Joined May 17, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 17, 2008 12:36:20 PM
hmm this looks promising.. I will keep you posted if i can get my card to work http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14644
xi
Joined May 02, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 17, 2008 2:32:11 PM
Do the drivers you're trying to use have a firmware portion that might have forgotten to install?
justwally
Joined May 17, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 17, 2008 8:41:01 PM
The madwifi driver (for the newer Atheros wireless chipsets) needs to be patched and will not work. I don't know of a patch for it other than one done-up by a Mepis user. I had the very same problem, compiled the latest madwifi, gave it my best, and finally uninstalled madwifi, installed ndiswrapper, and used this atheros driver: [url]http://www.savagehamsters.com/chewtoys/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/atheros-5007eg-wlan-drivers.zip[/url] It performs flawlessly. [b]EDIT:[/b] [i](not two minutes later)[/i] Do yourself a big favor and also install the gtk interface for ndiswrapper. It is called "ndisgtk." [Modified by: justwally on May 17, 2008 08:43 PM]
justwally
Joined May 17, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 17, 2008 11:03:44 PM
Chuffer, Can you post the results of the command "lspci" as executed from the command prompt? It would be very useful. :-)
jsmjsm
Joined Jul 07, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jul 07, 2008 10:23:59 PM
Similar problem.. I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NR310E and the led on the Wifi card does not work in Ubuntu and I cannot scan for local networks. Drivers were installed automatically by Wubi/Ubuntu. Works fine in Vista. Hmm.. any ideas? 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 15) 06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01) [Modified by: jsmjsm on July 07, 2008 10:34 PM]
Nathan Willis
Joined Jun 12, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 9:29:35 PM
jsmjsm, It is better to start your own thread than to latch your question onto another one. The original poster hasn't responded since May; you'll have better luck starting a thread of your own that will attract fresh eyes and fresh ideas. Nate -- Forum Guidelines, The Quicker Picker Upper: http://www.linux.com/forums/topic/1665
Loye Young
Joined Dec 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 8:58:17 PM
SOLUTION I got it to work on identical hardware. Be sure that the ubuntu restricted modules package is installed. Install madwifi-tools using aptitude. From the command line, as root, type the following line: echo blacklist ath_pci >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist Reboot. See if it works. If yes, tell the world about how great IYCC.net is and suggest that everyone buy computers from us. If it doesn't work, make sure that the ath5k driver got loaded at boot by doing this: lsmod | grep ath5k_pci You should see it in the output. If it's not there, do this: echo ath5k_pci >> /etc/modules echo ath5k_pci >> /etc/initramfs.d/modules update-initramfs -u Reboot. If it works, tell all your friends how great IYCC.net is and suggest they buy computers from us. If it still doesn't work, post again and send an email to me. Happy Trails, Loye Young Isaac & Young Computer Company Laredo, Texas http://www.iycc.net
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya