This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Other Topics
Posted Feb 04, 2008 at 3:31:47 PM
Subject: macintosh g3 powerpc..... which linux??
hey everybody :P I've got a old macintosh g3 powerpc where I want to put linux on it. I have already googled it but I can't find anything, Ubuntu 7.10 doesn't work on a G3 (I tried) And the OS is so old that it freezes every minute the hardware: procesor: g3 powerpc @ 400 MGH RAM : 385 MB harddisk: 40 gb OS: Mac OS 9.2 year of built: 1997 I tried damn small linux, ubuntu 7.10, opensuse v3.0 and even my knoppix and floppix os aren't capable. :( I've even put 2 new CD drives in it and doesn't work. only if the MAC os 9.2 has started it sees it. I have expierence with installing linux but this is a real big mysterie, Pleaze help me..
Back to top Profile Email Website
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 08, 2008 3:54:00 PM
When you say you nothing works or the distros aren't capable, what exactly do you mean? What problems are you facing? Unfortunately you don't have enough RAM or processor power to get Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva or OpenSUSE to work on that machine. The latest releases of these distributions require quite a lot more RAM and processor power, unfortunately. Your best bet is to go for either Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux, both of which while ideal for old machines, are in no way inferior to any other Linux distribution. You can read about these two and various other Linux distributions here: http://www.linux.com/distributions/ Cheers!

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
valvagia
Joined Feb 02, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 4:15:00 PM
they aren't booting the CD's
Shashank Sharma
Joined Jan 01, 1970

Other Topics
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 4:24:07 PM
There can only be two reasons for this. Did you change the BIOS boot order? Make sure it says to boot from the CD drive before the hard disk. If you've already done that, then you must not have burned the CDs right. When burning ISO files, you should use the "burn image to disk" option. Burning ISOs is different from creating a regular data disk. When you use the "burn image to disk" option, and specify the ISO file to burn, only then would the disk be bootable. If you just place the ISO file on the disc like creating a regular data disk, it won't be bootable.

Coauthor of Beginning Fedora: From Novice to Professional published by Apress.

Please follow the Forum Guidelines

Back to top Profile Email Website Yahoo!
lordpenguin81
Joined May 11, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 11, 2008 9:01:08 PM
This ought to answer your question. In order to boot from a CD on a Macintosh, you have to hold down the C key during the mac chime at boot. Continue to hold until the mac boots the disks. NOW, let find out more about you mac. Is it beige or is it blue+white? If it is beige, then you have what is called an "old-world" Mac. In this case, the G3 will NOT boot your CD under any circumstances. You CAN however load the CD from OS 8 or 9 with a program called BootX. If your Mac is Blue and White, just hold the "C" key and cross your fingers. Good Luck!
Mukyboy
Joined May 29, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: May 29, 2008 10:25:24 PM
I have an old G3 running Ubuntu right now. The problem that you are having is probably the fact that you are not using PowerPC versions of linux. The last official version of Ubuntu with PowerPC support (and the one that I am currently using) is 6.06 which can be found at http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/6.06/
nijltjetweety
Joined Aug 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 1:34:49 PM
This topic is old, but there is no more response. I have recently an old G4 400 with 8mb videoram. Ubuntu wil not start in graphic mode. Reason must be the graphic card. Ubuntu 6.04 needs 16mb or higher. How you installed that linuxversion on your ppc??

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Other Topics
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 1:26:29 AM
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/51907-just-purchased-imac-g3-linux-works-mac.html Just copied this from a thread for installing Open Suse PPC in G3 MAC look there is way but only SUSE 10 but you have to go http://en.opensuse.org/PPC_Installation_Issues and read the prossidure, but there other issues too here just one pease of it this copy of the page, Booting of the Installation CD/DVD CD1 is bootable on all NewWorld G3/G4/G5 Macs, IBM RS/6000 and pSeries, and also on PReP systems. To install on an OldWorld Mac, use BootX (from http://penguinppc.org/~benh/ ). To install on a legacy IBM iSeries systems, boot the CD1/ISERIES64 file as *STMF. yaboot will automatically pick the correct kernel for your machine. and this is page http://en.opensuse.org/PPC_Installation_Issues hope this help's enjoy.

nijltjetweety
Joined Aug 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 3:37:19 PM
i tried with debian, fedora core 4, older but same problem, yellow dog 3.0.1, old but again same problem. Older distro i can't find on the web, not for download and not for sale on cd. I trie this one tomorrow, it's one of the last chances. The mac os was not with the imac delivered, but i have him for free, so i can't complain. Thanx, hope the original poster of this top is helped too. Thx
linuxfans
Joined Jan 14, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:08:41 AM
maybe switch to pc is an easy alternative.

linux air jordan

Rubberman
Joined Jul 30, 2007

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 5:03:09 AM
[quote=linuxfans]maybe switch to pc is an easy alternative.[/quote] Especially since you can get a new PC for only a few hundred USD. In any case, a lot of the distributions these days are not supporting much more than Intel-based systems. I could recommend Gentoo as it is still supporting the Power chips and is totally configurable for minimal systems such as your old G3. Download the minimal/install ISO and burn that to a CD. To install a lot of the packages like OpenOffice and media players though you will need a live internet connection. Installation on Gentoo pretty much compiles everything from scratch, so you have total control over what is built into the system. That way you can build only the drivers for hardware actually found on your system, and tune it in a lot of nice ways. The downside to this approach? It takes time to get a system to where you can use it for everyday purposes. My first Gentoo installation a few years ago took about a week of evenings to sort out to where I had KDE, audio, video, CD writer, and such running well. But I did it on an old P-II Dell with only 256MB of RAM and an 8MB video card. The installation guide is about 200 pages, but covers everything you need to know quite well. My main complaint is that one has to kill a dozen paper trees and ink vines to print it all out! :-) Good luck!

Sometimes real fast is almost as good as real time. Remember, Google is your friend!

Back to top Profile Email Website AOL Instant Messenger
nijltjetweety
Joined Aug 12, 2008

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 10:33:22 AM
Installing ubuntu was at the end a succes. I used version 7.04, i found that version not in the ubuntu site, i found it elsewhere, strange huh. Maybe i try gentoo later, but for this moment my mac doesn't work any more. The hard disc's engine refuses to run, so the disc stoped working. I am looking now for an other disc. The old one was 8 years old, it was still the original disc.
ZIONTECH
Joined Jan 16, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:07:10 PM
Old g4,g5 mac machines in new delhi, hi we sell all old mac machines in new delhi,we also repair old ipods and iphones please call us at zion technologies,245a,sant nagar,first floor ,east of kailash,new delhi 65 9810124668/41620840/41620842--julian john
mikjp
Joined Jan 15, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 3:34:14 PM
I use Debian on an iBook that has 384 Mb RAM and CPU of 600 MHz. Runs great! Mikko http://lightlinux.blogspot.com
DigitalSedition
Joined Jan 11, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 7:55:13 PM
Ive got a old mac I run Slackintosh on, they still have not upgraded to 12.2, but its easy to set up.
rob
Joined Jan 14, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 3:06:38 PM
edit: Just thought of this why not look into BSD as that is what mac is based off of. It's not easy at with a mac sometimes because they don't use a bios in the sense that a pc uses a bios. They are into something called bootstraping I think. Not to savvy on the specifics of it all but I would just try and find old versions of software. I did a google of it and found that apparently (without reading the actual content of the links) that people have had success with debian and even ubuntu. http://www.google.com/search?q=ppc+g3+linux+support&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a [Modified by: rob on January 20, 2009 10:10 AM]

If you don't break it you'll never learn how to fix it.

mikjp
Joined Jan 15, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 3:59:17 PM
[quote=rob] (without reading the actual content of the links) that people have had success with debian and even ubuntu.[/quote] Yes, both Debian and Ubuntu have a separate version for PPC architecture. So the success does not surprise - they are supposed to be installable on PPC. Greetings, [url]http://lightlinux.blogspot.com[/url]
dhawkins
Joined Jan 24, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 02, 2009 3:38:37 AM
You might want to give yellowdog a try. (Oops. sorry - I see you did already) [Modified by: dhawkins on March 02, 2009 03:39 AM]
pp1212
Joined Mar 15, 2009

Other Topics
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 9:01:17 PM
Tableless layout Validate XHTML 1.0 Strict Validate CSS Powered by Xaraya