This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

de Icaza's comment is just not true

Posted by: Anonymous [ip: 82.192.250.149] on October 08, 2008 10:20 PM
"it's pretty much a standard rule that you will test your [.net] software on Mono before you ship."

This just isn't true. Actually it's so plainly, completely, balderdash that I'm surprised that even Icaza, in his role as over-the-top Mono advocate, would make it. From my observation I would say that about 98% of .net developers don't even know (or care) that Mono exists, and the other 2% know it exists but think it would be a waste of time to bother with it, since they're 100% Microsoft oriented.

That really is what you would expect, since if you want your project to be portable, you use something other than a proprietary technology - Java is free software now, for example, and is mature and multi-platform.

#

Return to After 2.0 release, Miguel de Icaza reflects on Mono's past and future