This is a read-only archive. Find the latest Linux articles, documentation, and answers at the new Linux.com!

Linux.com

Re: Mono? No thanks

Posted by: Anonymous [ip: 128.221.197.21] on August 06, 2007 06:09 PM
It is always sad to see the effects of religion on ones thinking.

> 1. Mono perpetuates the .NET code base.

A religious argument indeed. You are not making any argument about whether the technology is appropriate or helpful, you are simply stating Mono = .Net = Microsoft = Sauron/Valdemort/<your favorite source of evil here>. I am no lover of Microsoft, but at least I am willing to judge a technology on its technical merits. And there .Net (and by extension Mono) have a lot to offer.

> 2. Mono will work until MS decides to break it.

FUD. You are attempting to sow fear by making a statement for which there is no support. But since you are expressing your religious views, you are entitled to your own facts, no?

> 3. Mono is supported by MS via Novell to accomplish #1

And again FUD. Do you always write postings where you use opinions to make assertions? Where do you outline even a shred of evidence to substantiate what you are saying?

> 4. Miguel de Icaza is a brilliant programmer and leader who has no problem with the MS/Novell patent agreements. I'll not support him in that.

Miguel is actually a Microsoft agent being paid to gradually change the mindset at Novell so that they can be acquired/destroyed by Microsoft. Gee, I can see where you are coming from - this making up stuff is rather fun!

> 5. There are a plethora of other development frameworks that are fully Free and unencumbered. Why bother with applications for this new one?

Hmmm. Good point. The question I would ask is WHY WOULD YOU NOT? And I'm gonna do something that apparently runs a little counter to the way you like to post - I'm going to provide some tangible reasons as to WHY YOU SHOULD:
1) Development of contemporary applications is not so hard with .Net/Mono. Taken a look at web services lately? Maybe you ought to - it is orders of magnitude easier to do this in .Net than in some Java equivalent such as Axis. In fact, the whole network infrastructure to support just about anything you want to do is there, in one very easy to use bundle.
2) I say potato, you say poh-tat-o. If I want to develop in Java, I can certainly do so in .Net. What's more, if the other folks on my team want to develop in C#, Python, Ruby, VB.Net, etc., they can do that too. And guess what, all of our code integrates together in a natural fashion. It is as nothing for me to extend a Java class with C# for instance. Let me know if you need the code. And as an added bonus, going from language to language a diverse team can all leverage the same set of libraries, cutting down on learning curve requirements and giving a standard context in which to talk about solutions.
3) Assemblies put Java jar files to shame. If we are talking about reuse, this is an important consideration. If we are talking the development of plug-in based applications, this is critical. To get the same level of functionality I can pair OSGI with Java, but really, with this functionality provided out of the box in .Net/Mono, why mess around with a lesser solution?
4) Java has, for some time now, been trying to play catch up with language features appearing in .Net. If you want to know where programming is headed, you don't look to Sun, you look to the folks that they are playing 'me too' with. Why on earth would I want to bet the race on a platform that lets someone else dictate their vision?

By all means stick with the solution you already have. Mono doesn't need or require the kind of closed minded worship you seem to exhibit.

#

Return to Power up your photo sharing with Desktop Flickr Organizer