Posted by: Anonymous Coward
on June 05, 2002 07:42 PM
I don't think you realize what they're doing. In short;
* LindowsOS is regular Linux with propriatory extentions to run Windows programs.
* The extentions are based on Wine.
* They use the Windows "You've got root!" style installation. This simplifies program installation, but leaves a huge gaping hole for potential exploits. (Corrections appreciated on this if they no longer do this.)
* Good? Bad? Arguments can be made for both. Personally: Wine & Windows program loaders are good and running users as root is bad.
* These guys are primarily marketers. They care much less about the technology then in how they will sell it.
* Marketing good -- Marketing bad. Personally, I think that the Linux (and open source) worlds are too tech heavy and don't have enough marketers. The tech has to be there, but I'd like people to use it more so it is less of an "Alternative" and is thought of as just more software. Right now, most folks are scared or ignorant (or both) of Linux, BSD, and various different open source projects.